Regional Climate Change Planning
The Resilient East Project is a partnership with the Eastern Region Alliance (ERA) Councils and Adelaide City Council to develop a Climate Change Adaptation Plan for the eastern region. This deliverable is a requirement of the State Government’s Climate Change Adaptation Framework and is being funded by state and federal governments and participating councils.
Resilient East will determine the current adaptive capacity of economies, communities and natural environments to climate change impacts. The project will then identify how to efficiently and effectively increase the resilience of the eastern region’s natural and built environment and strengthen the networks, resources and skills in our local businesses and communities so they can positively respond to the impacts of climate change. By having active participation by key stakeholders throughout the project life, Resilient East aims to:
- Build the adaptive capacity of those who must adapt
- Create conditions for meaningful action
- Overcome barriers to adaptation
- Support practical and relevant adaptation measures
Key activities for the project in 2015 included stakeholder workshops attended by Council staff from member Councils, business, community groups, and State Government.
These workshops were developed to inform a series of reports and documents, all of which are available from the Resilient East website-
- Integrated Vulnerability Assessment (IVA) Report - This report summarises the IVA undertaken for Resilient East
- Vision, Values and Key Decisions Report - This report contains the values and regional profile for the eastern region and identifies those aspects of importance to the eastern region that need to be assessed in terms of their vulnerability to a changing climate
- Climate Projections Report - This report assists in the Integrated Vulnerability Assessment process and describes the drivers of climate change, sources of variation in climate projections and what climate the region may experience in the future
- Draft Adaptation Plan Report completed - and is currently being reviewed by project councils. (as this is in draft, it is not yet available on the website)
A regional workshop will be held in February 2106 for attendance by Elected Members and senior staff of the project councils and partner organisations. Councils will formally consider the Adaptation Plan for endorsement after this workshop, anticipated to occur in March.
The resulting Adaptation Plan will outline tangible and prioritised strategic actions for the eastern region that can be programmed into future investment strategies.
For further information visit: www.resilienteast.org.au